Meeting God in Scripture (online) In progress
Scripture is more than words on a page. It’s an account of real events of people interacting with God. You can join them in that interaction by studying the passage carefully (left brain) and then allowing the Spirit to guide you in understanding how God might be speaking to you today through that passage. This is the primary way God communicates with us. Don’t miss out!
8 week online course based on Meeting God in Scripture.
- Why We Meditate on Scripture (benefits) Luke 15:3-7 Finding the Lost Sheep (exercise)
- Using the Imagination in Meditation; What Is Contemplation? Matthew 14:25-33 Peter Walking on Water (exercise)
- Letting Go of Distractions and Staying Present with God Isaiah 11:1-9 The Good and Peaceable Kingdom (exercise)
- Bible Study as a Partner to Meditation Psalm 91 Facing the Fearful Journey (exercise)
- Changing from the Inside John 15: 1-17 Being Transformed into Christlikeness (exercise)
- You’re Not Just Making Stuff Up Mark 5:22-34 Jesus Healing Life’s Wounds & Hurts (exercise)
- Being Honest with God, Praying Scripture; Doing Lectio with a Group Luke 7:11-17 Stepping Out In Compassion (exercise)
- How to Meditate on Your Own Ephesians 3:14-21 Cooperating with the Power of God (exercise)
- Interact with the class on course page and private Facebook page.
- Optional Add-ons: Group lectio via Zoom, individual spiritual direction session.
Produced by Matt Rhodes and myself.
Life Without Lack Online Coming Fall, 2019
Matt Rhodes and I will be leading a 6-week course based on the content of Life Without Lack (assembled from my favorite set of Dallas Willard recordings).
Sign up here to receive an email when we enroll: lifewithoutlack.net/waitlist
Designed for individuals & groups.
You don’t have to be in the US. You can download sessions at any time.
Finding Rest and Direction in Contemplative Prayer (online)
Online Course Available on-demand: Finding Rest & Direction in Contemplative Prayer
Based on the content of revised version of
Take it yourself, with a group you’re a part of, or form a new group. 8 10-15 min instructional videos 8 exercises
INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS such as:
- Why Contemplative Prayer?
- Contemplative Prayer: Rooted in Truth (Scripture)
- Why Contemplative Prayer Is Not Boring
- What You Can Expect to Hear from God
- False Narratives to Watch Out For (committee members in your head)
EXERCISES such as:
- Experiments with Solitude & Silence
- Journaling as Conversation with God
- Naming your Committee Members
- Making Requests in a Contemplative Way
- Asking God Questions
Online Advent Retreat Starting December 3!
4 week online advent retreat based on the content of my advent retreat guide, Taste and See: Experiencing the Stories of Advent and Christmas,
2 Levels Available: 2) leaders using it with groups; individuals on their own
Both levels: Interact with the class on course page and private Facebook page.
Produced by Matt Rhodes and myself.
Associate Adjunct Professor Hope International University Reading for Spiritual Formation, Developing Spiritual Disciplines Azusa Pacific University Contemplative Spirituality Friends University Introduction to Spiritual Direction RGU Spiritual Direction Certificate Program Hearing God and Discernment Denver Seminary Care of Souls
Cohort Programs Instructor & Spiritual Director Apprentice Experience Wichita, KS Renovare Institute for Christian Spiritual Formation Various locations Lifesprings International School of Ministry Various locations in Europe & Asia Lightstream Institute Melbourne, Australia Souleader Holistic Immersion in Formation and Theology (SHIFT) Southern California